A VPN, or Virtual Private Network, is a tool that allows you to access the internet privately and securely. When connected to a VPN, all of your traffic is encrypted and tunneled through a remote server run by the VPN provider. This hides your IP address, location, and online activities from your internet service provider, government, hackers, and other third parties.
For Kindle Fire users, a VPN provides a number of important benefits:
- Enhanced Privacy and Anonymity – Your browsing data and traffic will not be logged or monitored by Amazon, advertisers or your ISP. This allows you to maintain privacy.
- Access Blocked Content – VPNs allow you to bypass geographic restrictions and censorship to access content not available in your location. This is especially useful for accessing apps, websites and streaming services blocked where you live.
- Public Wi-Fi Security – Using a VPN encrypts data on public networks to protect from hackers and snoops when browsing on the go.
- Bypass ISP Throttling – VPN encryption prevents internet providers from throttling connection speeds for specific apps and services. This can improve streaming speeds.
In this guide, we will cover the best VPNs for Kindle Fire, provide setup instructions, and give tips on using and troubleshooting VPN connections. Follow along to secure and unlock your Fire tablet or e-reader.
II. Best VPNs for Kindle Fire
There are many VPN services to choose from, but not all VPN providers offer apps for the Kindle Fire platform. The top options include:
ExpressVPN is the top recommendation for Kindle Fire. It offers high-speed connectivity, reliable connections, and easy-to-use apps for various devices.
Important features include:
- Apps for Fire tablets and Fire TV sticks
- MediaStreamer DNS for unblocking streaming sites
- 256-bit AES encryption
- 3,000+ servers in 94 countries
- Fast speeds for HD streaming
- 24/7 live chat support
With ExpressVPN you can securely access any website or service, bypass censorship and geo-blocks, torrent securely, and keep online activities hidden from your ISP.
NordVPN is another excellent choice, with the largest server network of any VPN. Perks include:
- Apps available for Amazon devices
- 5,300+ servers worldwide
- Onion over VPN for anonymous browsing
- Double VPN and CyberSec features
- Fast speeds for streaming in HD
- Strict no-logs policy
NordVPN allows 6 simultaneous device connections, so you can secure all your Amazon devices. It uses the highest grade encryption and has a useful internet kill switch feature.
Surfshark offers unlimited device connections along with great speeds. Benefits include:
- App works on Fire tablets
- 3,200+ servers in over 100 countries
- Strong AES-256-GCM encryption
- Improved streaming with CleanWeb feature
- Allows unlimited devices
- 24/7 live chat support
With strong security, good speeds, and unlimited connections, Surfshark is a great budget-friendly option.
III. How to Use a VPN on Kindle Fire
The process for setting up and using a VPN on a Kindle Fire device is straightforward. Here are the step-by-step instructions for getting connected:
Install VPN App
- On your Kindle Fire, go to the Amazon Appstore and search for the official app from your VPN provider. For example, “ExpressVPN”, “NordVPN”, “Surfshark”.
- Download and install the VPN app for your device. Open the app and log into your VPN account using your credentials.
Connect to VPN Server
- Once installed and logged in, open VPN app settings and select which server location you want to connect through.
- Tap “Connect” to establish an encrypted tunnel to the VPN server. This will now tunnel and encrypt all network traffic.
Configure VPN Connection
- Most VPN apps include auto-connect features that will launch the VPN automatically when your device starts. Enable this option.
- You can also toggle “Always-on VPN” to keep the connection active indefinitely. If the VPN disconnects, Android will block internet access until reconnected.
- Under the VPN settings menu, you can choose the specific VPN protocols to use such as OpenVPN or IKEv2. Use the protocol recommended by your provider for best performance.
That covers the basics of installing and setting up a Kindle Fire VPN app. Connect to a server location to hide your IP, bypass filters, access blocked content, and keep your browsing encrypted and private.
IV. Using Outline VPN on Kindle Fire
Outline VPN by Jigsaw is a free VPN service that focuses on security, speed, and bypassing internet censorship.
To use Outline on Kindle Fire devices, you’ll need to sideload the Android app since it is not available on the Amazon App Store. Here is an overview of the process:
Enable ADB Debugging
To install third-party apps from outside sources, you first need to enable developer options and USB debugging:
- Go to Settings > Device Options > Developer Options and enable “ADB Debugging” and “Apps from Unknown Sources.”
- Swipe down from the top and enable “USB Debugging.”
Download Outline App APK
- From the Silk Browser or a computer, go to Outline’s website to download the latest Outline .apk installer file.
- Save the APK file to your Kindle Fire’s internal storage Downloads folder.
Install Outline VPN
- Open the ES File Explorer app on your Kindle Fire device. Go to the Downloads folder and tap the Outline .apk to install.
- Accept the permissions. This will now install Outline VPN on your Kindle Fire tablet.
- Open Outline and enter your account credentials or create a free account to connect.
You can now use Outline to tunnel your web traffic through an encrypted connection and bypass internet censorship abroad. Keep the VPN enabled for ongoing security.
V. Troubleshooting and Tips
In some cases, you may run into issues using your VPN app on a Kindle Fire device. Here are some troubleshooting steps:
- Reboot Device – Close all apps, restart your Kindle Fire and try reconnecting the VPN. This can clear up underlying issues.
- Reinstall VPN App – Sometimes an app reinstall fixes bugs that cause connectivity problems.
- Switch Protocols – Try toggling between protocols like IKEv2 or OpenVPN to see if one works better than another for connecting.
- Contact Support – For ongoing issues, contact your VPN’s technical support via live chat or email for troubleshooting help.
In addition, here are some useful tips:
- router VPN Setup – Configure your router at home with VPN software to cover all Wi-Fi connected devices including Kindle Fire tablets.
- Use DNS Leak Protection – Enable DNS leak protection features in your VPN to prevent IP leaks if connections drop.
- Enable Kill Switch – Turn on the VPN kill switch option to block internet access if your VPN connection fails unexpectedly.
Installing and enabling a trusted VPN service is vital for maintaining security and privacy on Kindle Fire tablets. VPN encryption protects your web traffic from prying eyes while browsing on public Wi-Fi, and allows access to geo-blocked content and apps no matter where you travel.
ExpressVPN stands out as the best all-around option with reliable connectivity, fast speeds, and easy-to-use apps catered for the Kindle Fire platform. Meanwhile, Surfshark offers the unique advantage of allowing unlimited device connections for securing all items in your ecosystem.
Following the instructions covered, you can easily download, install, and configure a VPN service on your Kindle Fire. Turn the VPN connection on whenever browsing the web, shopping online, streaming content or accessing public networks for the most secure and private experience on your tablet. With the right VPN, you can unlock your Fire’s full potential.