A VPN, or Virtual Private Network, is an encrypted tunnel between your device and a private server that allows you to browse the internet more securely and access restricted content. Using a VPN in Finland provides a few key benefits:
- Encrypts your web traffic to protect against hacking and surveillance
- Bypasses geo-restrictions to access streaming sites like Netflix from other countries
- Changes your IP address to a Finnish location to access local Finnish websites abroad
- Increases online privacy by hiding your IP address and location
The top recommended VPN providers for Finland locations and IP addresses are NordVPN, Surfshark VPN, and ExpressVPN. All three services have high-speed Finnish servers capable of easily unblocking popular sites.
Best VPNs for Finland
NordVPN is a market leader in VPN services, particularly for Scandinavian locations like Finland due to its large server network. Key features include:
- Over 5,100 servers in 60 countries worldwide, including 24 VPN servers located in Finland
- Offers specialized servers for streaming, P2P sharing, double encryption etc.
- Compatible with Windows, Mac, iOS, Android and Linux devices
- Enables access to Netflix, iPlayer, Hulu from Finland servers
- Strict no-logging policy and offshore headquarters to protect privacy
With its fast Finnish servers, great speeds, advanced security, and range of privacy tools, NordVPN is a top choice for a Finland IP address.
Surfshark is the most affordable premium VPN solution with Finnish servers that offer:
- 800+ servers in over 100 locations globally, covering all major Finnish cities
- Quickly unblocks geo-blocked websites like HBO Max, BBC iPlayer etc.
- Allows unlimited simultaneous device connections with one account
- Works with Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, FireTV and browsers via handy extensions
- Includes additional security tools like a private search engine, virus scanner etc.
For budget-conscious users wanting a Finnish IP on unlimited devices, Surfshark VPN delivers excellent value.
ExpressVPN consistently ranks as one of the fastest and most secure VPN solutions. For Finland usage, it stands out with:
- 3,000+ high-speed VPN servers across 94 countries, including locations in Finland
- Continually optimized network ensures fast speeds ideal for HD streaming
- Proven ability to unblock Netflix US, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video etc.
- Leading privacy protections via TrustedServer technology and strict no logs policy
- Purpose-built apps for all leading platforms including Windows, iOS, routers etc.
ExpressVPN’s fast Finnish servers, great unblocking ability and watertight security makes it the premium choice despite the higher pricing.
Methodology for Finding the Best Finland VPNs
Evaluating VPNs suitable for Finland required focusing on key criteria vital for local usage:
Surveillance and Privacy Protections
Finland has strong privacy laws and low rates of government surveillance. So VPN logging policies, offshore headquarters, encryption standards and leak protection required scrutiny to identify no logging, secure options.
Local Finnish Servers and IP Addresses
The essential requirement was availability of dedicated Finnish VPN servers and IP addresses to mimic a local connection, bypass geo-blocks and evade detection.
Speed and Streaming Compatibility
With fast home broadband speeds, Finnish users require equally fast VPN servers for HD video streaming. So specialized streaming servers and network size to deliver HD video bandwidth was vital.
Based on the above criteria, NordVPN, Surfshark and ExpressVPN emerged as services that offer the best blend of Finnish servers and locations to protect local privacy while retaining usability.
How to Use a VPN in Finland
Using a VPN in Finland works similarly to setting one up anywhere in the world, though with a few location-specific choices:
1. Select a Suitable Provider
Go with NordVPN, Surfshark or ExpressVPN for fast Finland servers and privacy protection suitable for the country as highlighted earlier.
2. Create an Account
Visit the website of your chosen VPN provider to purchase a subscription plan and create an account. The longer 12 or 24 month plans usually offer the best value.
3. Install Apps and Sign In
Download and install the VPN provider’s apps for the various devices you use – Windows laptops, iPhone or Android mobiles, streaming hardware like Fire Stick etc. Now sign in using your account.
4. Connect to Finland
Launch the VPN app, check for and select a server location in Finland, and connect. This will give your device a Finnish IP address to match the location.
5. Start Browsing Securely
Your web traffic is now encrypted and routed through Finland for location spoofing, geo-unblocking and privacy enhancement against any snooping.
Selecting reputable VPN providers like the recommended options, correctly setting up apps across all your devices, connecting to low-traffic Finland servers, and enabling added protections like VPN kill switches will together deliver reliable and private Finnish IP spoofing wherever you are.
Debate Around Russia Blocking VPNs
There is increasing debate on whether Russia’s attempts to restrict VPN access domestically will also expand internationally to block traffic from major providers like ExpressVPN, NordVPN, Surfshark etc. According to recent reports, Russia may also compel small regional ISPs in Finland to enforce similar VPN blocking through a series of upcoming legislation.
If passed, these new authoritarian internet regulations propose to:
- Legally compel ISPs operating in Russia to actively detect and block VPN traffic
- Introduce deep packet inspection systems to identify VPN data flows
- Blacklist both Russian and cross-border VPN servers and their IP addresses
- Throttle suspected VPN connections to make them unusable
However, most consumer VPN providers have already adopted technologies like:
- Obfsproxy – Masks VPN traffic to look like regular HTTPS data to avoid DPI flagging
- Multihop connections – Jumps traffic between multiple servers to hide origin
- Rotating IP addresses – Changes server IP addresses frequently to avoid listing
So it is unlikely Russia will expand its domestic blockade internationally or severely disrupt major VPN providers abroad in Finland. However, low-end VPN services may face connectivity issues or speed throttling. Users wary of reliability issues can opt for reputable VPNs like ExpressVPN.
Comparing Types of VPN Protocols
Not all VPNs work the same way. Evaluating the underlying protocols and technologies is important to understand compatibility, speed and blocking resistance:
OpenVPN uses highly flexible open-source software for running VPN servers on remote machines with custom encryption. Key features:
- Uses port 443 to mimic HTTPS traffic avoiding blocking
- Can leverage both TCP and UDP transport depending on network
- Handles connection losses well, ideal for mobile usage
- Slower speeds than newer protocols but highly stable
OpenVPN strikes a balance between speed and blocking resistance for reliable connectivity.
A next-gen protocol using state-of-the-art cryptography between client and server for max speeds:
- Provides near Ethernet-level speeds perfect for HD video
- Harder to detect or throttle as runs inside UDP and uses port 51820
- Minimal resource usage ideal for mobile devices
- Still in active development so provider compatibility growing
For flawless HD streaming with military-grade encryption, WireGuard VPN delivers the best speeds via NordVPN and a few other providers globally.
Custom Proprietary Protocols
Many reputed VPNs also create custom implementations:
- NordVPN uses NordLynx based on WireGuard offering stunning speeds
- ExpressVPN leverages Lightway for unmatched VPN throughput
- Surfshark develops Cloak for obfuscating VPN traffic past inspection systems
For users wary of government-level threats, using such custom protocols via reputable brands retains usability.
Choosing a suitable VPN provider is vital for Finnish residents to protect their online privacy and bypass regional blocks when traveling abroad. NordVPN, Surfshark and ExpressVPN ranked as the leading options for their fast Finland servers, strong encryption standards and ability to bypass restrictions on streaming sites.
While Russia’s increasing crackdown on VPN usage won’t directly impact broader services in Finland, users should still select robust providers using modern protocols resistant to traffic throttling. Over the long run, VPNs in Finland will likely get faster and more blocking-resistant with new cutting-edge technologies.