Using a Virtual Private Network (VPN) on your Samsung Smart TV can provide several key benefits. A VPN allows you to access geo-restricted streaming content from around the world. It also encrypts your data traffic to keep your browsing activity private and secure.
However, Samsung does not natively support VPN installation on their Smart TV platform. Workarounds are required to configure a VPN connection. This article will cover the best methods for setting up and using a VPN on your Samsung TV.
How to Install a VPN on Samsung Smart TV
There are three main workarounds for installing VPN access on a Samsung Smart TV:
- Set up a VPN on your router
- Use Windows connection sharing
- Enable a Smart DNS service
Setting up a VPN on a Router
The easiest way to enable a VPN on a Samsung TV is by installing and configuring the VPN provider’s app on your wireless router.
Here are the general steps:
- Confirm your router is supported by your desired VPN provider. ExpressVPN has setup guides for more than 25 router models.
- Download the VPN provider’s router app to your desktop computer or laptop. For example, you can get ExpressVPN’s app from their website.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to install the VPN router app, entering your account credentials when required.
- Select a server location, save the settings update, and reboot your router.
Once finished, all devices that connect through your router will have VPN protection automatically, including your Samsung TV.
Using Windows Connection Sharing
If your router does not support VPN apps, another option is to setup the VPN on a Windows PC, then share the encrypted connection:
- Install VPN app software on a Windows computer or laptop
- Right-click your WiFi icon and go into Properties > Sharing tab
- Choose the VPN connection to share and allow other network users to connect through this computer’s VPN
- Connect Samsung TV to the same network as your Windows PC
Your TV can now route its traffic through the shared VPN tunnel.
Enabling Smart DNS
VPN providers like ExpressVPN also offer Smart DNS services to connect your device.
Here’s how to set up Smart DNS on your Samsung TV:
- Create ExpressVPN account and enable MediaStreamer
- Configure Samsung TV DNS settings:
- Primary DNS: 184.108.40.206
- Secondary DNS: 220.127.116.11
With Smart DNS enabled, your TV can now access geo-restricted platforms by spoofing its location. However, Smart DNS does not encrypt traffic like a full VPN does.
Best VPNs for Samsung Smart TV
ExpressVPN is the top choice for using a VPN on Samsung Smart TVs. Key features include:
Simple Setup – Dedicated router app makes setup straightforward. compat
Fast Speeds – 3,000+ global VPN servers optimized for streaming and speed.
Top Security – 256-bit AES encryption and no activity or connection logs.
Unblocks Content – Smart DNS and VPN gets around geographic blocks on 10+ platforms.
24/7 Support – Live chat, email and phone support for any issues.
With MediaStreamer Smart DNS and fast routing through VPN servers, ExpressVPN delivers the best streaming experience on Samsung TVs.
Other Compatible VPN Services
NordVPN, CyberGhost, Private Internet Access and other top services also work with Samsung Smart TVs:
- NordVPN – Also offers SmartPlay tech to unblock streaming content along with double VPN and Onion Over servers.
- CyberGhost – User-friendly apps with 7800+ servers worldwide. Includes dedicated streaming profile.
- Private Internet Access – Budget VPN with 10 simultaneous connections across 10 devices allowed.
Any of these three services can be set up through a VPN router or DNS settings as shown above. Each brings high speeds, reliability, and streaming access.
How to Disable a VPN on Samsung Smart TV
Once you have VPN access setup on your Samsung TV, you may eventually need to disable or disconnect it. Here are a few methods to turn off a VPN connection.
Disable VPN on Router
- Access your router interface using the admin URL and login password
- Navigate to the VPN or ExpressVPN menu
- Select “Disable” or “Disconnect” to turn off the VPN router connection
- Restarting your router may be required for changes to fully take effect
Now your Samsung TV will connect to the internet directly without VPN tunneling to anonymous your traffic.
Disable VPN Connection Sharing
If you setup VPN access through Windows connection sharing, stop the connection sharing function:
- Go to Network Connections settings on Windows
- Right click the shared VPN connection
- Choose “Disable sharing” which will turn off VPN access from this computer
Disable VPN App
If using the ExpressVPN or another provider’s dedicated app for Android, it can easily be disabled:
- Launch the VPN provider’s app on your device
- Tap disconnect or choose a different location server to disable the active session
Now your Samsung TV will no longer be routing its traffic through the VPN provider’s servers.
Installing and configuring a VPN on your Samsung Smart TV provides significant benefits for geo-spoofing and enhanced privacy while streaming. ExpressVPN in particular delivers excellent speeds and reliability.
The process can be as simple as installing a VPN router app from ExpressVPN or NordVPN. For manual configuration, options like Windows connection sharing and Smart DNS settings also enable VPN access on Samsung televisions.
With more and more streaming platforms implementing geo-blocks worldwide, a quality Virtual Private Network is an invaluable tool for any smart TV user to unlockrestricted content.