A virtual private network (VPN) is a technology that allows users to securely access a private network and share data remotely through public networks. VPNs encrypt internet traffic and disguise your online identity by masking your IP address. This prevents third parties from accessing your browsing data and allows you to bypass censorship or geo-restrictions.
Using a VPN is extremely important for online privacy and security in Estonia. By hiding your IP address and encrypting your data, you can prevent cyberattacks, avoid falling victim to fraud or hacking, and circumvent ISP throttling or bandwidth caps. VPNs also allow Estonians to access blocked content and websites that may be censored by the government or internet service providers.
Estonia VPN Services
There are many VPN services on the market that provide servers optimized for fast speeds in Estonia. Top VPNs will have servers in major Estonian cities like Tallinn, Tartu, and Narva. Connecting to one of these servers will provide the best speeds for Estonian residents.
The main benefits of using a VPN in Estonia include:
- Encrypting your internet activity to protect against cyber threats
- Hiding your IP address and location to avoid censorship
- Accessing blocked streaming sites and social media platforms
- Bypassing bandwidth restrictions imposed by internet providers
- Enhanced privacy and anonymity while torrenting or sharing files
- Unblocking geo-restricted content from other countries
- Securing public WiFi hotspots to prevent man-in-the-middle attacks
With rising concerns over state-sponsored hacking and increases in cybercrime aimed at Estonian businesses and government agencies, it’s no surprise more locals are turning to VPN services.
Outline is an open-source VPN developed by Jigsaw, a subsidiary of Alphabet Inc, that focuses on increasing access to information while preserving personal privacy. Outline runs on Shadowsock protocol and uses cryptographic techniques to disguise internet traffic.
The main advantages of Outline VPN include:
- Completely free and open-source
- No data caps or bandwidth limits
- User-friendly apps for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android
- Allows P2P sharing and torrenting
- No activity or connection logs are kept
- Encrypted proxy built directly into VPN
- Compatible with Estonian ISPs
To use Outline VPN in Estonia:
- Download the Outline client app for your device
- Run the app and select the country you want to route your traffic through
- Click connect to link with the nearest Outline server
- The app will automatically encrypt your data and tunnel web traffic through the VPN
- You can verify your IP address has changed by searching “what is my IP address” to confirm the VPN is masking your IP
- Top Estonia-Based VPN Apps
Below are 15 of the top-rated VPN apps optimized for use in Estonia:
- ExpressVPN – Ultra-fast speeds, ideal for streaming HD video or music. Offers MediaStreamer DNS for Smart TV access. 30-day money back guarantee.
- NordVPN – Connect up to 6 devices simultaneously. Performance is reliable across 1,000s of worldwide servers. Great for torrenting.
- Surfshark – Budget-friendly option with strong AES 256-encryption. Includes hack lock feature. 30 day money back guarantee.
- Cyberghost – Base in Romania, good speeds across most of Europe. No-logs policy assured by external audit.
- TunnelBear – Easy to use app great for beginners. Offers only 1,000 MB of free data per month.
- Windscribe – Features a generous 10 GB monthly data allowance on free version. Unique whitelisting option to select traffic that isn’t encrypted.
- ProtonVPN – Created by scientists who previously worked at CERN. Headquarters secured by Swiss privacy laws. All plans have unlimited bandwidth.
- Ivacy – Includes split-tunneling and secure DNS. Money-back guarantee lasts for a full 30 days. Custom firmware for routers available.
- OVPN – Sweden-based provider focused on complete privacy. Offers port forwarding and Double hop connections.
- F-Secure FREEDOME – Developed by the leading Finnish cybersecurity firm. No activity logs. Intuitive map interface shows location of VPN servers.
- Hide.me – Malaysia based provider with one of the largest server networks globally. Solid speeds for streaming or torrenting.
- Private Internet Access – Custom firmware available, port forwarding enabled. Supports perfect forward secrecy when using IKEv2 protocol.
- Norton Secure VPN – Made by the well-known antivirus software giant. Automatically blocks unsafe WiFi networks.
- Encrypt.me – Strong AES 256-bit encryption with 2,000+ servers worldwide. Allows P2P filesharing.
- Trust.Zone – Includes a password manager, ad blocker, and public WiFi security checker. 31 day money back guarantee. 256-bit AES encryption for apps and browser extensions.
- Instructions for Using VPN in Estonia
Follow these steps to set up and connect to a VPN service within Estonia:
- Select a paid VPN provider like ExpressVPN that clearly states a no-logging policy and offers fast speeds in the Baltic region. Sign up for an account.
- Download the VPN app for your device – Windows PC, Mac computer, Android mobile phone, iPhone, etc. Log into the app using your account details.
- Find a server located in Estonia or another nearby country like Finland, Latvia, or Sweden. Connect to this server.
- Once connected, the VPN app encrypts your web traffic using either OpenVPN or IKEv2 protocols and tunnels it through an encrypted virtual tunnel before exiting through the selected server IP address.
- Websites and services will now see the IP address of the VPN server rather than your actual public IP address when you access the internet. Test that your IP has changed by visiting a website like iplookup.net.
There are a few different protocols used by VPN services:
OpenVPN – Uses OpenSSL libraries and 256-bit encryption. Fast speeds make it ideal for streaming HD video but can be blocked in countries like China.
IKEv2 IPsec – Native support in Windows, iOS, and Blackberry devices. Automatically reconnects when internet drops. Vulnerable if encryption keys are compromised.
WireGuard – Experimental protocol still in development. Uses state-of-the-art cryptography. Speeds are extremely fast but not many VPNs support WireGuard yet.
As internet privacy concerns continue to rise globally, Estonians are wise to protect themselves by using a virtual private network when accessing the internet. VPN encryption defends against growing cyber threats from scam artists, hackers, and government mass surveillance programs. VPN anonymity also allows Estonians to bypass censorship to access content on banned sites or blocked social platforms.
With fast speeds across the Baltic region and apps that make it easy to connect in just a click or two, there has never been a better time for Estonians to sign up for a premium VPN service. Leading providers like ExpressVPN even accept various cryptos like Bitcoin or Ethereum as payment. By masking your IP address and encrypting all traffic, VPNs make browsing the web anonymous, secure, and private again.